The hand shower is a showerhead with a flexible hose. Thanks to its mobility, it allows you to change the direction of the jet drastically, as well as its characteristics (the latter requires the purchase of a new handshower). The overhead shower is a shower head, which is permanently mounted above the head of a person. The bracket pipe for installing the overhead shower is purchased separately. The overhead shower provides little or no adjustment of the jet direction. Shower set – consists of a hose, shower head, shower rod or other fastening. Sometimes such sets are equipped with a mixer, various accessories (shelf, soap tray). The overhead shower and hydromassage are not included in this set.
Watering can diameter – the higher this parameter is, the larger the area covered by the water jets. This is especially true for people with hypersensitivity to cold. At the same time, as the diameter of the handshower increases, water consumption, dimensions and weight increase, resulting in rapid hand fatigue when using a hand shower. Therefore, the diameter of the hand shower head is 60-150 mm. The same parameter of the overhead shower reaches 600-800 mm that allows to “wrap” the swimmer completely in water jets. The 150-160 mm diameter shower heads are equally good for hand and overhead showers.
Number of types of jets (modes of operation) – most often 2-4 modes are provided in the handshower. The higher this indicator is, the more precise the shower adjustment to individual preferences of the person. More advanced models can boast of 5-6 modes, but they will cost more and are less reliable (breakage due to hard water is possible). Consider this if you want to choose the best high pressure shower head.
Common modes of operation of the shower head:
- Rain – gentle jets (to wash away scrub or soap);
- gentle dispersion – gentle streams of air-saturated water (for face massage and head washing);
- Mono jet – strong jet (for spraying with cool water);
- Combination – a combination of several modes (variable-jet, caress, waterfall, water mist, “all at once”).
Water consumption (throughput) – the amount of water that the watering can gives out per minute when the taps are open. The higher the rate, the more intensive the shower is on the body. Models with a high throughput rate (up to 60 l/min) significantly increase water consumption, which is important if there is a meter or limited water supply. Some systems can reduce water consumption to 8-9 l/min (ECO mode). Therefore, it is advisable to purchase a shower set with adjustable water consumption.
Hose length – in most shower systems does not exceed 125-200 cm. It is enough for comfortable reception of water procedures. There are models with a longer hose – they will be useful for a large bathroom. Too short a hose is inconvenient, and its use is fraught with kinks and tension. The 125 cm long hose is used for hygienic showers.
In addition to the construction material of the shower system, its performance is influenced by the coating. This is especially important for brass headsets – the disadvantages of this material are eliminated by the coating.
- Chromium is a brilliant, corrosion- and mechanical-resistant coating at a relatively low price. The disadvantage is the appearance of stains and prints. Such a variant is used most often.
- Chromium with gilt – in terms of performance it does not differ from the classic chromium coating. Gilding also gives the set a solid appearance. Minus – higher cost. It is found in elite shower sets.
- Matt chrome – in contrast to the classic mirror chrome coating, less than a mark. As in the previous case, this solution will cost more than the usual chrome coating.
- Nickel is similar in characteristics to a shiny chrome coating. Shower systems with such a coating are rare.